I want to share with you today a very useful VMWare fling help you to understand a VM´s Storage behavior.
Ioinsight is a virtual appliance that provides a framework to monitor I/Os and run various analysis on them.
IOInsight should help the VMWare administrators to better optimize and tune their storage systems. If the administrator need a support in any storage issue, a report from IOInsight can be very helpfull to analyze the issue.
You have only to deploy the appliance in your vSphere environment. After a small configuration of password and if needed dedicated network you can start the web based UI and run the analysis.
It s recommended to configure the appliance with at least 2 vCPUs and more tan 2 GB RAM.
The VM appliance should be deployed in the same or closer network to the management network of the ESXi hosts being monitored.
Let´s start with the installation.
Download the fling here
deploy the OVA in your vSphere environement
once finish start the VM and change th initial password : changeme
You can now, either keep the standard per dhcp received IP or change to static mode
To change the network configuration type: Ioinsight nwcfg
Default dns name is ioinsight. To change it you should enter to static mode.
Now you connect to the Web UI via the URL: https://ip_of_the_VM
Connect to your vcenter and choose the VMDKs you want to analyze. For this you should enable SSH on the ESXi host.
Choose the analyzer plugin you want to use
The default test duration is set to 30 min. the minimum is 10 min.
Start the test.
At the end of the run duration the results will be in graphs generated. The results are grouped based on VMDKs
The basic I/O analyzer characterizes the I/O workload with respect to the following metrics: (from User manual)
- Number of I/Os issued per second (Read, Write)
- Amount of data in MBps issued per second (Read, Write)
- Number of I/Os that are sequential vs. non-sequential (Read, Write)
- Number of I/Os whose LBAs (offsets) are aligned to 4KB-boundaries
- Percentage of read I/Os among total I/Os
- Cumulative data fill rate: This shows the cumulative amount of data that is written to disk from the start of the monitoring duration. Here we ignore write I/Os that repeatedly go to a particular location. Only the first writes to a particular location is counted. This gives an approximate view of the rate of growth of a thinly-provisioned disk.
- IO Size histogram (total IO)
more information about the analyzer plugins and developing new analyzer can be found in the User manual : download here
The fling was developed by: Midhun K, Nidhi Naik and Sanakaran Sivathanu.
Fling website: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/ioinsight
VurIT 😉 and be sociable